As reported, Colin Powell just endorsed Obama, calling him a "transformational figure." He listed several reasons for his choice:
- Obama’s response to the economic meltdown
- Obama’s ability to reach all classes, races, and parties
- Obama’s rhetorical ability and his substance
- McCain’s erratic response to the economic crisis
- Palin’s lack of preparedness for the Presidency
- McCain’s smears
- The wingnuttia of the Republican Party
- The danger of two more conservatives on SCOTUS (he’s probably thinking about all the anti-torture decisions)
- The attacks on Muslims (he mentions a Muslim woman burying her son in Arlington)–this was one of the most powerful parts of the endorsement
Just as interesting was what Powell had to say in a short availability after his appearance on MTP. His last question addressed the McCain campaign smears again. He called out Michelle Bachmann on her McCarthyist rant. Also, Powell made a really great defense of Obama’s tax policy, pointing out that all tax policy involves redistribution of wealth, it’s just a question of where it gets redistributed; he also pointed out that most people get their taxes back by using the services government provides.
Say what you will about the value of Colin Powell’s endorsement. But whether you want it or not, please accept the importance in Powell calling out the McCain smears and attacks on Obama and America’s Muslims.